Hello and Welcome to the East Dorset Friends of the Earth website.
East Dorset Friends of the Earth is the licensed local group of Friends of the Earth (England & Wales) covering the area of Bournemouth, Poole, Christchurch, Ferndown, Wimborne and parts of the Isle of Purbeck.
The group has been active in the area since 1972, and campaigns on a range of local environmental issues: climate change, recycling, energy policy, pollution, marine conservation, protection of local heathlands, wetlands and Poole and Christchurch Harbours, transport policy and land use issues. We work with other community groups who share our aims, and where possible work with local councils, MPs and other decision-makers.
Our campaign successes include:
- campaigning to ensure that the best environmental practice was used in the development of Wytch Farm Oilfield;
- stopping BP’s plans for an offshore oil-drilling island opposite Sandbanks beach;
- successfully lobbying for the early closure of Winfrith Nuclear Power station;
- saving several areas of heathland from development (including parts of Canford Heath, Upton Heath, Talbot Heath and Arne Heath);
- designing the blueprint for the S.E. Dorset cycle network and successfully lobbying for cycle access to the beach promenades;
- successfully encouraged local councils to introduce comprehensive recycling facilities;
- achieved (with other groups) the establishment and protection of the S.E. Dorset Greenbelt; and
- raised the profile of environmental issues locally and nationally.
More information coming soon
For information, membership and donations contact: http://eastdorsetfoe@gmail,com